The winter of 2018 will go down as one of the coldest and snowiest on record. One way to shake the winter blues is to start preparing your home now for spring. Here are 10 things you can do to get the jump on spring cleaning:
- Change or clean filters. Your furnace ran nearly non-stop this winter and that means your filter needs replaced. This is also a good time to clean your range hood, window air conditioner unit and dehumidifier filters.
- Clean the gutters. There are probably still remnants of fall foliage plus some broken branches you’ll want to clear out before the first spring rain. While you’re up on the ladder, check the roof for any damage that may have been caused by broken branches.
- Empty your dryer vent. Clogged dryer vents can put a strain on your dryer and are a fire hazard. Vents are easily removed from the back panel of the dryer and can be cleaned with a brush.
- Prep the BBQ grill. Hopefully, your grill has been covered throughout the winter and all you will need to do is remove dust and debris. You may have to scrub any rust that collected on the gill.
- Test smoke detectors. Should probably switch out the batteries regardless of if they work or not. You can never be too cautious when it comes to fire safety.
- Clean outdoor furniture. Those deck tables and chairs took a beating and will need to be cleaned. Plus, a little touch-up paint and new cushions will give them a fresh look.
- Check outdoor bulbs. A well-lit house is a safe house and over the winter you may have had a few burn out. Replace with energy-saving CFL bulbs.
- Get your AC unit checked. Winter weather can be tough on outdoor equipment. Annual checks on your AC unit from an HVAC specialist in the spring can prevent a costlier problem later.
- Tidy the garage. Junk and dirt seem to collect in garages over the winter and a good spring cleaning with the door open is just the solution. Get the mower ready. Mowing your yard every week can put a strain on a mower and some simple maintenance in the spring can help prolong its life. Clean the filters, drain any old gas, check the oil and give it a good washing.
Spring will be here before you know it! Getting these tips done now means more time you can spend in the hammock.