A second home away from home.
Whether it’s a vacation retreat, a place for your children while attending college, or used as an investment property, purchasing a second home can have a number of advantages. Just as buying your first home was a significant decision, so should the purchase of a second one. You need a lender that can guide you through the process to ensure you have the right financial footing and can get the best rates possible. NASB has helped thousands finance their first home, and we can help you get your second.
Second Home Loan Requirements
To qualify for a loan for a second home to be used for personal use, the property must be:
- Lived in by the owner for some portion of the year
- A one-unit home suitable for year-round use
- Owned entirely by the buyer
- Not rented, operated by a property management company, or lent under a timeshare arrangement
To qualify for a loan for a second home to be used as an investment property, the buyer will need to:
- Be prepared to make a sizable down payment, at least 10%
- Have a good credit score to get the best rates and terms
- Possess a low DTI (debt-to-income ratio)
If you are looking to purchase an investment property without requiring proof of personal income through tax returns or pay stubs, you may want to consider a Debt Service Coverage Ratio or DSCR loan
. A DSCR loan is a type of loan that looks at the net income generated by the investment property to qualify for the loan, instead of the personal income of the borrower.